Corn pudding is a classic dish on the tables of so many American families at Thanksgiving (in November there) and that is just where I was introduced to it, at the table of my Momma Franks, a Thanksgiving Feast expert! It is basically a super delicious and extra rich cornbread with every good thing in it and all you gotta do is stir, pour and bake. Then sit back and take all the credit!
Sue, I hope your family loves it, and remember:
Thanksgiving is no time for restraint!
Side Note: My sweet Sue found a firm place in my heart as a young woman as she is one of the most caring, loving, snugly, strong woman I have ever known. Like a second mother to me, this beautiful woman, wife and mother has never ceased to earn my respect with her courageous views and her love of God and His plans for her life. She has also exemplified for me a willingness to apologize, forgive, laugh at herself, eat and be merry and never let life's pain take her joy. Can you tell she is my hero? The other night as I watched her sing softly in the ear of my beautiful daughter I felt cherished too. Every time she loves on someone she gives it her all and I feel so blessed that she has extended that love to first my husband and now my child. OK OK the recipe.... you know me and my feelings...
Corn Pudding - Courtesy of Momma Franks, another hero of mine, I will have to touch on that one too soon....
You are to add one box Jiffy Corn Muffin Online Store Mix but we can't usually get it here so the recipe at the bottom is my own version and it comes out great. Or just substitute another corn muffin mix and measure what you need.
1 can niblet corn, drained
1 can creamed corn
1 cup sour cream (low fat is fine, but are you sure you wanna do that?)
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 tsp Franks' hot sauce
1/2 tsp salt (3/4 if it's kosher)
1 pkg Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix (240g or 1 cup of the recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 350'F. Grease a baking dish of your choosing, I like a classic smaller corningware dish or high sided crock. Set aside. Note: If you use a shallow baking dish it might take 10-15 minutes less to bake.
2. In a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients and stir until all the dry is incorporated and everything looks consistent. Pour into prepped dish.
3. Bake uncovered for 45 min's or until light golden on top with a slight jiggle in middle when you bump it. It should seem set but not firm.
4. Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving. Or, chill and reheat for your occasion. Can be made up to 2 days ahead.
"Jiffy" Corn Muffin MixUse 1 Cup per recipe Corn Pudding. This recipe makes enough for several corn puddings, wink wink.
Ingredients:2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp baking powder
2 1/4 cups cornmeal
1. Mix all together and store in a cool dry place for many months.
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving
Friends and Family!